Texas Low Income Housing Information Service Job Announcement
Policy Analyst – Planner – Advocate – Community Outreach Specialist
Qualifications: This full-time position is based in Galveston.We will consider also part-time applicants with exceptional qualifications and an independent contractor. We prefer applicants with experience working in low-income communities and neighborhood based citizen groups, housing policy, community planning, research, and with English/Spanish bilingual skills. Applicants must have reliable transportation to travel throughout Southeast Texas. Compensation based on skills and experience. Racial and ethnic minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Responsibilities: Represent an Austin-based nonprofit public policy research and advocacy organization working for decent homes and quality communities for people with lower-incomes, people of color and people with disabilities in Texas Gulf coast communities from Orange to Corpus Christi. Support grassroots leaders, community and civil rights organizations working for fair and equitable housing options for people with lower-incomes.
1) Collect and analyze, evaluate, and explain data and policies relating to low-income housing.
- Gather data; analyze housing and community development needs, conditions and demographics of persons with low-incomes and their communities.
- Monitor local government plans, public hearings, meetings and policy on use of public resources for low-income housing and community development.
2) Support efforts in the region by low-income people and communities to solve their fair housing and community development problems.
- Identify and interact with leaders and organized groups of low-income persons concerned with housing and community development.
- Work with grassroots leaders and community organizations to analyze and interpret the effect of public policy on low-income households and communities.
- Work with our community organizer and local organizations to carry out campaigns for fair housing and community improvement.
- Identify and engage a cross section of partners who will assist in addressing the housing needs of low-income residents.
- Keep local community stakeholders informed and engaged in city planning processes.
3) Develop, coordinate and advocate fair housing policy solutions together with grassroots leaders, low-income community and civil rights organizations.
- Work with TxLIHIS staff, policy experts and attorneys to develop policy solutions.
- Represent TxLIHIS through testimony before governmental bodies.
- Provide expertise and assistance to a collaborative of community-based organizations in rebuilding housing and infrastructure in a manner that reflects community interests.
- Support the development of and monitor Section 3 job programs to ensure federal funds are used to hire low-income residents and businesses from underserved communities.
Please submit a resume and a cover letter expressing interest to firstname.lastname@example.org