In this halftime report from the 88th Session of the Texas Legislature, or perhaps a little later in the game, Texas Housers’ research director Ben Martin joins A Little Louder to provide updates on bills regarding eviction preemption, funding for renters, and other tenant protections. Also, Ben and communications manager Michael Depland discuss how renters can make themselves seen as equally as homeowners at the State Capitol.
Bills discussed on Episode 53:
- HB 2035/SB 986/HB 2127/HB 673 – Eviction preemption/statewide cure
- HB 3952 – Justice of the Peace and County Courts get shared jurisdiction over evictions
- HB 1193 – HOA voucher discrimination
- HB 2996 – SOI carveout for DV survivors and foster youth
- HB 1/SB 30 – Budget surplus
Watch Testimony from Texas Housers and tenants on HB 2035
Follow housing bills on our website: https://texashousers.org/lege23/
And as always, you can listen to Episode 53: “Midway Update at the 88th Session” below or wherever you get your podcasts.