Do you have the energy, drive, initiative and discipline to collaborate with low income residents of color, support grassroots activism and inspire people to action?
Texas Low Income Housing Information Service (a.k.a. Texas Housers) is hiring a full-time Community Organizer – Neighborhood Leadership Coordinator in Houston to support local leaders in their campaign for fair housing and neighborhood rights.
The position reports to our Houston co-director, Chrishelle Palay, and works directly with dedicated citizen activists, neighborhood residents, skilled staff colleagues, public policy experts, academics, government officials and other community organizers in social justice partner organizations, particularly the Texas Organizing Project (learn more about our partnership with community leaders).
“The neighborhoods we work with have compassionate leaders and we’re building on their knowledge and ideas to make Houston a fairer and more equitable place to live,” says Texas Housers community planner Melissa Beeler, who worked with leaders in Houston’s Sunnyside community on a comprehensive neighborhood plan for reinvestment which the new organizer will help implement. (Pictured at top: Melissa [left] and Chrishelle [right] with the leaders of the Sunnyside Plan.)
Qualifications for the position:
- Skills and formal training in community organizing.
- Experience in canvassing, campaign planning, and community organizing.
- Familiarity with neighborhood dynamics in low-income communities of color.
- Experience planning and organizing events.
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of people.
- Effective at self organization and time management.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Leadership and team building skills.
- Ability to multitask in a constantly changing, fast moving environment.
- Diligent, detail-oriented, and mission-driven.
- Knack for critical problem-solving.
- Access to a reliable transportation.
- Willingness to work some evenings and weekends.
- Proficient in basic computer office programs, internet, texting, email and social media communication.
The position offers health insurance, paid vacation and otherwise standard professional benefits. Speaking and writing fluency in Spanish is preferred. Learn more and apply online here.